Tuesday 4 September 2012

Poetry Of Baba Bulleh Shah


Bulleya Ki Jana Main Kaun

-

Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun

Bulleya to me, I am not known
-
Na main momin vich maseetaan
Na main vich kufar diyan reetaan
Na main paakaan vich paleetaan
Na main moosa na firown
Not a believer inside the mosque, am I
Nor a pagan disciple of false rites
Not the pure amongst the impure
Neither Moses, nor the Pharoh
-
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known
Na main andar ved kitaabaan
Na vich bhangaan na sharaabaan
Na vich rindaan masat kharaabaan
Na vich jaagan na vich saun
Not in the holy Vedas, am I
Nor in opium, neither in wine
Not in the drunkard’s intoxicated craze
Neither awake, nor in a sleeping daze
-
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known
Na vich shaadi na ghamnaaki
Na main vich paleeti paaki
Na main aabi na main khaki
Na main aatish na main paun
In happiness nor in sorrow, am I
Neither clean, nor a filthy mire
Not from water, nor from earth
Neither fire, nor from air, is my birth
-
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known
Na main arabi na lahori
Na main hindi shehar nagauri
Na hindu na turak peshawri
Na main rehnda vich nadaun
Not an Arab, nor Lahori
Neither Hindi, nor Nagauri
Hindu, Turk, nor Peshawari
Nor do I live in Nadaun
-
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known
Na main bheth mazhab da paaya
Ne main aadam havva jaaya
Na main apna naam dharaaya
Na vich baitthan na vich bhaun
Secrets of religion, I have not known
From Adam and Eve, I am not born
I am not the name I assume
Not in stillness, nor on the move
-
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known
Avval aakhir aap nu jaana
Na koi dooja hor pehchaana
Maethon hor na koi siyaana
Bulla! ooh khadda hai kaun
I am the first, I am the last
None other, have I ever known
I am the wisest of them all
Bulleh! do I stand alone?
Bulleya Ki jaana main Kaun
Bulleya! to me, I am not known









Main Jana Jogi De Naal | Bulleh Shah



1) Makeh gaya gal mukde naheen
2) Pawain so so jummay parrh aeey

Going to Makkah is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of prayers are offered

3) Ganga gaya gal mukde naheen
4) Pawain so so gotey khaeey

Going to River Ganges is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of cleansing (Baptisms) are done

5) Gaya gaya gal mukde naheen
6) Pawain so so pand parrhaeey

Going to Gaya is not the ultimate
Even if hundreds of worships are done

7) Bulleh Shah gal taeyon mukdee
8 ) Jadon May nu dilon gawaeey

Bulleh Shah the ultimate is
When the “I” is removed from the heart

9) Parrh parrh alam fazal hoya
10) Kadee apnay aap nu parrhaya ye naeen

[He] Read a lot and became a scholar
But [he] never read himself

11) Ja ja warrda mandir maseetey
12) Kadi man apnay which warrya ye naeen

[He] goes enters into the temple & mosque
But [he] never entered into his own heart

13) Aewaien roz shaitan naal larrdaan
14) Kadee nafs apnay naal larrya ye naeen

He fights with the devil every day for nothing
He never wrestled with his own ego

15) Bulleh Shah asmani udeeyan pharrda
16) Jayrra ghar baitha onu pharrya ye naeen

Bulleh Shah he grabs for heavenly flying things
But doesn’t grasp the one who’s sitting at home

17) Ratee jagayn tay shaikh sada wayn
18) Parr raat nu jaagan kutay, tay to utay

Religious scholars stay awake at night
But dogs stay awake at night, higher than you

19) Ratee bhonkon bass na karday
20) Fayr ja larraa which sutay, tay to utay

They don’t cease from barking at night
Then they go sleep in yards, higher than you

21) Yaar da buha mool na chhad-dey
22) Pawain maro so so jutay, tay to utay

They [dogs] don’t leave the beloved’s doorstep
Even if they’re beaten hundreds of times, higher than you

23) Bulleh Shah utth yaar mana lay
24) Naien tay bazi lay gaay kutay, tay to utay

Bulleh Shah get up and make up with the beloved
Otherwise dogs will win the contest, better than you

25) Raanjha chaak na aakho kurryo
26) Nee aynu chaak kehndee sharmawan

O friends, don’t call Ranjha a shepherd
I shy away from calling him a shepherd

27) May jaee aan lakh heeraan iss nu
28) Tay may kiss gintee which aawan

I am like a thousand Heers to him
Who am I, like countless others

29) Takht hazaray da eh malik
30) Tay may Heer sayal sada waan

He’s the ruler of Hazara’s throne
And I am forever the plain Heer

31) Bulleh Shah Rub kook sunay
32) Tay may chaak dee chaak ho jawan

Bulleh Shah may God hear my wail
And I’ll become shepherded by the Shepherd

33) Raanjha jogi aa ban aya
34) Aey ney anokha bhayche wataya

Ranjha became a Jogi and arrived
He exchanged into a unique disguise

35) Ahdo-n Ahmad naam dharaya
36) Nee may jana Jogi dey naal

He changed his name from Ahad (One God) to Ahmad (Prophet Mohammad PBUH)
I’m going together with Jogi

37) Koi kissay day naal koi kissay day naal
38) May jogi day naal naal

Someone’s with someone else, this one’s with that one
I’m together with Jogi

39) Jidoon dee may jogi dee hoyee
40) May which may na reh gayee koi

Since I have become Jogi’s
I have no “I” left in me

41) Ranjha Ranjha kardee
42) Nee may aapay Ranjha hoee

Repeating Ranjha Ranjha
I became Ranjha myself

43) Sadyo nee maynu Peedo Ranjha
44) Heer na akho koi

Call me Ranjha
Nobody call me Heer

45) May naheen woh aap hay
46) Apney aap karay dil joi

It’s not me, it’s he himself
He amuses his own self

47) Jiss day naal may neun lagaya
48) Ohdey wargee hoye sayyon

The one with whom I connected my heart
I became just like him, O friends

49) Jogi meyrey naal naal
50) May jogi day naal naal
51) Nee may jana jogi day naal

Jogi is with me
I am with Jogi
I’m going together with Jogi

52) Kannee mundaran pa kay
53) Mathay tilak laga kay

After putting earrings in my ears
and decorating my forehead with Tilak

54) Nee aye jogi naeen
55) Koi roop hay Raab da

Hey he’s not [a] Jogi
He’s some form of God

56) Bhayce jogee da iss nu phab-da
57) Iss jogi mayra joorra khassya

He’s disguised as Jogi
This Jogi has attracted me

58) Aye jogi mayray munn which wasya
59) Such aakhan aye qasmay Quran ay

This Jogi has established residence in my heart
I swear by the Quran it’s true

60) Jogi mayra deen eman ay
61) Iss jogi maynu keeta rogee

Jogi is my belief and faith
This Jogi has marked me

62) Nee may iss jogi
63) Hun hore na jogee

Hey I belong to him
Now I’m not worth any one else (Now there’s no other Jogi)

64) Tarr gaye way may tarr gayee loko
65) Akh jogi nal larr gaye loko

I’m floating, I’ve drifted across, O people
My eyes inter-meshed with Jogi’s, O people

66) Maynu jogan jogee dee aakho
67) Heer salayte mar gaye loko

Call me Jogi’s female Jogi
Heer is dead, O people

68) Khayrray karday koorriyan gallan
69) Jogi dey mayrrhay may cir tay jhallan

In Khayrray they have deep talks
I have to listen to accusations about

70) Hore kissay nu kuj na janan
71) Janan tay jogi nu janan

I don’t know anything about anyone else
If I know anything, I only know Jogi

72) Iss da paya kissay na paya
73) Iss da hay do jug uttay saya

No one has attained what he has attained
His shadow is on both worlds

74) Iss diyan dhumman do jug dhummiyan
75) Iss diyan juttian arsh nay chummian

His fame is celebrated in both world
His shoes were kissed by Heaven

76) Aye jogi jogi mat wala
77) Hath which Ill’Allah dee mala

This Jogi is full of wonders
In his hand is the rosary of “There is Nothing But One God”

78) Nee naam hay iss da kamli wala
79) Jay jogi ghar away mayray

Hey, his name is [Mohammad] “The One With The Shawl”
If Jogi comes to my home

80) Muk jawun sub jhagray tayray
81) Nee may lavan seenay naal
82) Lakhan shagan mana kay

All your fights will end
I will embrace him
And celebrate a million praises

83) Bulleh Shah ik jogi aya
84) Dar saday aynay dhuan paya

Bulleh Shah a Jogi came
To our door….(… ?… )

85) Aynay lut layee Heer sayal
86) Aya bhayce wata kay

He stole away Heer of Sayal
He came in a disguise
-



Ek Nukte Wich Gal Mukdi Ae | Bulleh Shah





It’s all in One contained.
Understand the One and forge the rest.
Shake off your ways of an apostate pest
Leading to the grave to hell and to torture
Rid your mind of dreams of disaster
This is how is the argument maintained
It’s all in One contained.
What use is it bowing one’s head?
To what avail has prostrating led?
Reading Kalma you make them laugh
Absorbing not a word while the Quran you quaff
The truth must be here and there sustained
It’s all in One contained.
Some retire to the jungles in vain
Others restrict their meals to a grain
Misled they waste away unfed
And come back home half-alive, half-dead
Emaciated in the ascetic postures feigned
It’s all in One contained
Seek your master, say your prayers and
surrender to God.
It will lead you to mystic abandon
And help you to get attuned to the Lord
It’s the truth that Bulleh has gained
It’s all in One contained

No comments:

Post a Comment